Monday, May 07, 2007

 

Back in Chennai

And, forgot to mention that I am back in Chennai too.
Been back for about 6 months now. Mumbai stint turned out to be very short for various reasons.

Mumbai was a wonderful place. Lived in an apartment complex for the first time in my life. (I've lived in a hostel, but other than that our folks always lived in independent houses). It was a great experience. I don't know if this is unique to Mumbai, but the apartment in Mumbai was more like a well knit extended family. With the usual prejudices, biases, teaming ups etc thrown in.

The only disadvantage was that you really couldn't do much withought your neighbours knowing it. You buy a new TV/Sofa set - your neighbour comes in to admire it immediately. You are out for a whole day unexpectedly - your neighbour knocks the door in the evening, and asks if you had a wonderful day. Well, to tell the truth, you also get to know all thet your neighbour does, so you really shouldn't complain. I guess it's just that in the small confines of an apartment complex, you cannot help but see what the others are doing.

In the short time I spent there, I made many valuable friends. Got to know who got along with whom. I didn't really have time to make any 'people to avoid' list. But I did start making my 'people to be wary of' list.

The amazing thing is how friendly, helpful and generous people there are. Here, if your child falls and hurts himself in front of the gate, noone will even ring the bell to let you know. There if the school bus has reached the apartment corner and you are not there to receive him, your neighbour drops him at your doorstep.

Being on leave from work was not very difficult there. I was still interacting with a lot of people, meeting my friends everyday. Now that I am back in Chennai, I feel confined within the four walls of the house.

Comments:
I actually enjoyed reading through this posting.Many thanks.



Independent House in Chennai
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?